Hello Families of McAdam High School
On behalf of all of us at MHS, I would like to welcome all the students and families back to school! There have been dramatic changes in our world, communities and schools since we left in March, but through this change we want to welcome students back to a place of familiarity, a place for learning, a place for connections and relationships.
As a teacher, principal and parent I recognize some families have many questions and concerns about their child returning to school, but the province of New Brunswick and we as a school have been working very hard to ensure we are in the best position to have students return. Starting next week, I will be hosting Live Sessions on FaceBook and Instragram to let students and families know what is happening at our school as well as try to provide answers to any questions. These Live Sessions will be recorded and posted for viewing later. I ask that all families and students join us as we attempt to provide the best educational experience possible to start our 2020-2021 school year.
There have been several announcements from the Department of Education as well as the school district providing information to students and families regarding the Return to School Plan.
Return to School Plan (Short Version)
Return to School Plan (Long Version)
These two documents are considered living documents, which means they will be updated and reviewed on a regular basis as new information comes available.
McAdam High School Updates
On September 3, I will release McAdam High School’s COVID-19 Operation Plan, this document will be reviewed on a regular basis. Below are a few updates:
1. As of now, all students (grade 6-12) will return to school full time, every day for instruction. McAdam is fortunate as we have a small student population that will allow for full time learning.
2. School hours have changed, our school day begins at 8:20 and ends at 3:00
3. Grades 9-12 will be engaged in a blended learning model, which means teachers and students will engage in learning with face-to-face and technology.
4. Grades 6-8 will be in two ‘bubbles’ and these bubbles will not interact with each other.
5. All students will require a mask to enter the school daily, masks will be worn in common areas of the school or in the classroom when physical distancing cannot be maintained.
6. Students will require a personal bottle of hand sanitizer; however, there will be multiple cleaning and sanitizer stations available.
7. MHS will have two transition days:
a. September 8 – Grade 6/7 will attend in the AM only
b. September 8 – Grade 7/8 will attend in the PM only
c. September 9 – Grade 9/10 will attend in the AM only
d. September 9 – Grade 11/12 will attend in the PM only
The transition days will allow for the staff to review all routines and procedures that will be required for all students to follow. All students will begin regular school days starting on September 10, 2020.
8. September 2 and September 3 will be available for grade 6 students new to McAdam to come to the school for a tour of the building. The tours will be by appointment only and the student will only be able to attend the tour (unfortunately, family members will not be able to attend). Jen (Admin Assistant) is currently calling families to arrange this.
There are more updates and information to share and I will be sending out communications next week. Please join me for a Live FaceBook and Instagram Session on Wednesday, September 2 at 2:30 and Thursday, September 3 at 2:30. Please contact me at the school or through email anytime.
Yours in Education,
McAdam High School