Prince Charles School

 
prince-charles-as-esquires-2009-worlds-best-dressed-man.jpgPrince Charles School opened in 1953 as an elementary school. Our school is named after his Royal Highness Prince Charles the son of our new queen at the time, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II. Prince Charles has visited our school in the past as well as the Duke of Edinburgh. The appearance of the school was very different than the original structure. At the time the front doors faced a road that ran where Prince Edward Square mall now sits and the school was half its present size.
 
The post war baby boom had given the area great number of elementary school students. In just four years, 1957, the new wing was built doubling the size of PCS. The elementary students moved into the old wing. The junior high part of the school became know as Prince Charles Intermediate and the elementary wing retained the Prince Charles School name. Each wing was given its own principal. With the two schools there were now about 800 students using the building.
 
In 1965 the two schools combined to make a united grades1-9 Prince Charles School with about 800 students. In the early 1990’s St. Malachy’s Memorial High School began using some classrooms. Due to this change junior high students were relocated to another location on Union Street. With the introduction of middle (grades 6-8) in 1995 the middle school students joined St. Joseph's Middle School. For two years PCS was an elementary school only. In 1997 St. Joseph's Closed and the middle school came back to Prince Charles and has remained here since. With about 200 students from kindergarten-grade 8 Prince Charles remains dedicated to giving Graduates the skills they need for lifelong learning.
Prince Charles School © Copyright 2012. All Rights Reserved.