Tuesday, May 23rd, 2017
I’m sure you heard that our baby chicks headed to a nice farm last Friday after school. We were all sad to see them go but know that they are happy in their new, safe barnyard habitat! To help ease our disappointment in letting them go, we were introduced to our new adventure. Ask your little one at home about our new little eating machines. We are all very excited to learn about the life cycle of new critters!
What we are learning:
Literacy - This week we will review all of our “w” words which you will find listed at the back of their sight word book. This week’s reading focus will be to pay close attention to punctuation in the books you read. Punctuation plays an important part in making your reading “sound right” and “make sense”. This focus will also help us in our writing.
Math – We will continue to practice doubles to 20 and “Friends of Ten” as well as counting in a variety of ways up to 100.
You and Your World – we will continue to explore the characteristics, needs and differences among living things.
Information Items/Dates to Remember:
· Our year-end, Grade One celebration for students will be a fun-filled trip to Kingswood for bowling and play-climber fun! To support this two-hour adventure, we will be asking for $11.50 per child. Please send in the fee as soon as you can. Please contact your child’s teacher if you have any questions.
· Popcorn is still being sold every Tuesday and Thursday for $2.00.
· Wednesday, May 24th – all tea fundraising order forms are due!
· Practice all “w” words to be able to read them in a snap. As an added challenge, try spelling some of them!
· Read your take home books – find a favourite blanket to cozy up with and snuggle up and read.
· Practice doubles to 20 by taking a deck of cards, turning one card over at a time and saying the doubles math sentence (7+7=14). We will be sending our “Slides and Ladders” doubles math game home as well.
As always, if you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to call me at school, send your child’s communication bag, or send an e-mail.
Mrs. Piers (506)453-5429 email@example.com