Monday, May 1st, 2017
Happy May Day! This will be an exciting month filled with lots of new learning opportunities. We look forward to sharing them with your child!
What we are learning:
Literacy - This week we will introduce the next five words of List 6 (ran, let, help, make, going). We will do a good review of the vowel teams (e.g. ea, oi, ou, ai) and help students connect learning to read these sounds with how to incorporate them into their writing. Also, we will be taking note of what strategies students rely upon to decode unknown words and encourage them to use a variety of strategies to enhance their decoding sills (look for bookmarks coming home this week to use at home as a guide).
Math – We will introduce doubles to 18
You and Your World – we have new visitors in our classrooms! Ask your child all about them. We will be studying habitats, meeting the needs of animals and how humans help keep them healthy and happy!
Information Items/Dates to Remember:
· Popcorn is still being sold every Tuesday and Thursday for $2.00. Flavour choices are: salt & butter, white cheddar, sweet & salty, dill pickle.
· There will be no school on Friday May 5th for Provincial teacher meetings.
· The We Act group is still selling handmade key chains and bracelets next week for two dollars. All proceeds will go to support our friends in Haiti. Thank you for your ongoing support.
· Cold season is here and we are out of Kleenex! If you have an extra box at home that you could donate, we would be most appreciative!
· Our year-end, Grade One celebration for students will be a fun-filled trip to Kingswood for bowling and play-climber fun! To support this two-hour adventure, we will be asking for $11.50 per family. You can send this money in anytime. Please contact your child’s teacher if you have any questions.
· Practice our new List 6 words and phrases.
· Read your take home books to your homework helper – can you retell the story you read to your homework helper (beginning, middle, end)
· Practice subtraction by using a deck of cards, turning over two cards at a time and subtracting the smaller number from the greater number. What subtraction strategies can you use?
Make sure to get lots of sleep every night! We need to keep up our energy for fun in Grade One!
As always, if you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to call me at school, send a note in your child’s communication bag, or send an e-mail.
Mrs. Piers (506)453-5429 email@example.com