Monday, April 24th, 2017
We hope you have enjoyed the long weekend! On Thursday, we were fortunate to attend another First Nations Cultural Presentation. We watched a young grass dancer perform while dressed in his traditional “regalia”. Ask your child about what he/she learned.
What we are learning:
Literacy - This week we will introduce the next five words of List 6 (saw, call, after, well, think). We will continue to work on the ending sounds, “ng”, “nk” and “al” and review sounds we have worked on this year. The reading strategy that we will focus on for the month of April is flipping the vowel sound: when you have read a word and you know it doesn’t sound right or make sense, think about the other sound that vowel in the word could make and flip the sound!
Math – We will continue practicing our addition and subtraction facts as well as counting to 100 in a variety of ways (2s, 5s, 10s etc.).
You and Your World - How can you and your family be Earth Helpers?
Information Items/Dates to Remember:
· Our Jump Rope for Heart fundraiser is underway. Money raised is due April 27th. You can register online at: jumpropeforheart.ca in order to receive a free skipping rope.
· Popcorn is still being sold every Tuesday and Thursday for $2.00. Flavour choices are: salt & butter, white cheddar, sweet & salty, dill pickle.
· Spring has sprung and we’ve got the puddles to prove it! To be proactive with impending water and mud adventures, we ask that you please send your child with extra socks, underwear, and pants to keep in their book bag. A pair of rubber boots and splash pants would be great too, for those wet days ahead!
· Try to pack litterless lunches for your child this month in celebration of Earth Day.
· There will be no school on April 28th due to teacher professional development.
· The We Act group will be selling handmade key chains and bracelets next week for two dollars. All proceeds will go to support our friends in Haiti. Thank you for your ongoing support.
· Cold season is here and we are out of Kleenex! If you have an extra box at home that you could donate, we would be most appreciative!
· Scholastic book orders are due Monday, May 1st, 2017.
· Practice our new List 6 words and phrases.
· Read your take home books to your homework helper – can you retell the story you read to your homework helper (beginning, middle, end)
· Practice subtraction by using a deck of cards, turning over two cards at a time and subtracting the smaller number from the greater number. What subtraction strategies can you use?
As always, if you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to call us at school, send a note in your child’s communication bag, or send an e-mail.
Mrs. Little (506)453-5429 email@example.com