Monday, April 3rd, 2017
Spring has sprung and we’ve got the puddles to prove it! To be proactive with impending water and mud adventures, we ask that you please send your child with extra socks and mittens to keep in their book bag. A pair of rubber boots and splash pants would be great too, for those wet days ahead!
Your child is bringing home their second report card in grade one! They have worked hard and we are proud of the achievement of each and every one. Please take the time to sit down with them and celebrate their successes, as well as, the more challenging areas. We look forward to meeting with you this week!
What we are learning:
Literacy - This week we begin the last 5 words in List 5 (pretty, every, jump, green, four). We will also introduce compound words. The reading strategy that we will focus on for the month of April is flipping the vowel sound: When you have read a word incorrectly and you know it doesn’t make sense, think about the other sound that vowel in the word could make and flip the sound!
Math – We will introduce Fact Families this week. (Ex: 2+3=5, 3+2=5, 5-2=3, 5-3=2)
You and Your World – This month we will be discussing ways that we can all be earth helpers to care for our beautiful planet!
Information Items/Dates to Remember:
· Report cards go home today. Parent teacher interviews will take place on Wednesday, April 5th Thursday, April 6th in the afternoon/ evening or Monday, March 10th in the morning. Sign-up sheets for times were sent home with your child last week. If you did not receive it, please let us know.
· Our next book fair will be held from April 4th-7th, the same week as Parent Teacher Interviews.
· There will be no school on Monday, April 10th due to parent teacher interviews and teacher professional development activities.
· Our Jump Rope for Heart Assembly will be held on April 6th. Fundraising information for this will be sent home in the near future.
· Easter Dinner at the cafeteria must be pre-ordered by April 11th. It will be the only thing served on April 13th. The cafeteria will be closed for all orders that day except for pre-ordered Easter Dinners.
· List 5 words and phrases – review each night
· Practice counting with your “Cool Counting Cards”.
(counting forward and backward from 50, counting by 2s to 20 and counting by 5s and 10s to 50.)
Please practice these skills daily!
As always, if you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to call us at school, send a note in your child’s communication bag, or send an e-mail.
Mrs. Little (506)453-5429 firstname.lastname@example.org