Monday, March 27th, 2017
We are gearing up for another busy week in grade 1! As a part of our You and Your World curriculum, we are fortunate to be participating in three presentations that focus on First Nations Culture in the coming months. We attended our first presentation on Friday, March 24th. Please talk to your child about all of the interesting things we had a chance to see!
What we are learning:
Literacy - This week we begin the third group of five words of List 5 (put, take, too, got, where). We will also introduce s blends this week (st, sp, sw, sc etc.). The reading strategy that we will focus on for the month of March is skipping the unknown word and reading on to the end of the sentence before going back to reread.
Math – We will introduce the “take away all” subtraction strategy this week.
You and Your World – March is Nutrition Month! Have your child help pack a healthy lunch and snack for school each day.
Information Items/Dates to Remember:
· Report cards go home on April 3rd. Parent teacher interviews will take place on Thursday, April 6th in the evening or Monday, March 10th in the morning. Sign-up sheets for times will be sent home on Monday, March 27th.
· Our next book fair will be held from April 4th-7th, the same week as Parent Teacher Interviews.
· There will be no school on Monday, April 10th due to parent teacher interviews and teacher professional development activities.
· Our Jump Rope for Heart Assembly will be held on April 6th. Fundraising information for this will be sent home in the near future.
· List 5 words and phrases – review each night
· Practice counting with your “Cool Counting Cards”.
· For report card time, an important focus for assessment in math will be:
counting forward and backward from 50, counting by 2s to 20 and counting by 5s and 10s to 50.
Please practice these skills daily!
As always, if you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to call us at school, send a note in your child’s communication bag, or send an e-mail.
Mrs. Little (506)453-5429 firstname.lastname@example.org