NHS has a very active Gay Straight Alliance (GSA). We have three staff facilitators: Ms. Giggy, Mr. Casey and Ms. Keehn. Meetings are generally held at noon on Mondays, but we have many improptu meetings throughout the year.
NHS is an inclusive and affirming school. The GSA, along with staff and students alike, plays an important role in maintaining this environment.
For the 2016-2017 school year, we have many loft goals for our GSA and for NHS. So far, we have:
1. Attended the annual Pride In Education in Fredericton this past November.
2. Held a 'We support our LGBTQ community' campagin.
3. Promoted the gender neutral washrooms at our school.
4. Held regular meetngs for our GSA students.
5. Ordered LGBTQ novels for our English classroms.
6. Completed a series of LGBTQ flags which will be placed in our school lobby.
We are currently in the process of creating our own bulliten board in the upstairs lobby :)