Kennebecasis Valley High School
Parent School Support Committee
March 9, 2004
Attendance: Betty Locke, Kelly Munkittrick, Nick Papadopoulos, Patrick Dunn,
Tammy Oliver, Clair Barefoot, Robert Munro, Monique Caissie, Patty Donovan, Katelynn Craig
Regrets: Brian Flewwelling, Katie Oliver, John Mulligan, Darrell Belyea
Guest: Joan Stratton
Call to order
The meeting was called to order at 7:05pm.
Approval of the Agenda
The agenda was adopted as presented.
Approval of the minutes:
The minutes of February 3, 2004 were adopted as corrected.
Presentation- Joan Stratton of the DEC
- upcoming election on May 10 DEC looking to recruit
- pamphlet to be sent home with students outlining the DEC
- stated that only 1/3 of the current 11 counselors are re-offering
- invited us to attend a public information session that will be held on April 13, 2004 @ 7:00 p.m. @ Rothesay High School
Zoe Watson, District 6 Superintendent, has requested a copy of the letter sent to our committee by Janet Ellis.
ACTION: Betty will send a copy
Condom and tampon machines
Tammy reported back to the committee that Enviro Chemicals Sanitation Supplies can service existing tampon and condom machines or replace if necessary. A list of costs was presented.
Motion: Patty moved that we reactive the machines and replace if necessary on a cost recovery basis; seconded by Kelly. 9 in favor 1 opposed Motion carried.
Sexual Health Survey
The proposed sexual health survey is a means to an end. Data is needed to justify requesting public health nurse services be reinstated at the school. Survey results will be tabulated by our committee with Kelly's help.
ACTION: Patty to draft cover letter (script), edit existing survey and forward all to Betty who will contact Andrew Hopper informing District office of our intent to conduct the survey and inviting their comments.
Meeting with Community Police Officer
Tammy reported that our contact officer is now back from leave and will be contacted at the end of the week. Tammy will be having ongoing talks with Bob and local police re: teen DARE and drug use at KVHS.
Bob reported that he has met with Deputy Chief Palmer and 2 officers about drug use.
We will be participating in a program where an inmate, under escourt, will be brought to the school to talk with teens about consequences of drug use and criminal behaviour.
ACTION: Patty to research possibilities of working with Melanie from Ridgewood on education possibilities. Patty to check out "Portage Play".
Ongoing discussions about how to increase student participation. The school improvement group has not yet provided feedback on this initiative.
ACTION: Monique to talk with S Yerxa about teacher liaison for Student Council, re student feedback
Report Card 2003
Overall staff are happy with the results of the Provincial Exams, students ranked above provincial averages.
- musical underway
- curling team doing exceptionally
- "Fireball" March 18
- Thank you from staff to PSSC for staff appreciation. Tammy Oliver and crew especially for all of their hard work.
- Contract for new ventilation being prepared
- School appeals committee for suspensions- Robert asked for volunteers, same list submitted as said in previous minutes.
ACTION: Betty to send out email to confirm willingness to serve on school as well as district appeals committee.
- Letter from Andrew Hopper requesting five parents to participate in a discussion on Grade 9/10 curriculum. The meeting will be at KVHS on Monday, March 29 @ 7:00pm. Patty, Betty and Nick volunteered.
ACTION: Bob to contact Andrew Hopper at district office regarding companion document for this meeting
ACTION: Betty will find two more parents to participate.
- Thursday there will be a meeting for grade 9 parents about grade 10 registration. All the information from the session is available on the website.
Betty reminded members that we will be discussing the School Improvement Plan at our next meeting and requested that members read the information provided in preparation for that meeting.
Next Meeting April 6, 2004 @ 7:00pm