Good afternoon MHS Students:
Please see the letter and announcement from the Greater Moncton Dragon Boat Festival; unfortunately it has been cancelled for this year. Students that paid the registration fee can please complete the form below to determine what will happen to your fee. As you know this will be a lengthy process so please complete as soon and thoroughly as possible and we will work to get the money to the right person as soon as we can.
Thank you for all of your commitment to the Lions Sick Children's Fund and we hope to see you all in 2020. Grads of 2020, whether it was your first event, or fourth I know you are disappointed in the cancellation - please do your best to encourage and support those that wish to row next year and continue supporting your community. Feel free to consider an entry into the Saturday event in 2021 as a community team as the MHS Grads of 2020.
Your options for your registration fee: Please DO NOT email directly. Use the form below.
1. Donate it to the Lions Sick Children's Fund and receive a tax receipt for the full amount. As you may remember, last year the Festival raised $81,000.00 for the Lions’ Sick Children’s Fund and $52,000.00 for 23 other charities in our community. Many of these charities are ones that will be called upon even more as the effects of the Coronavirus touch individuals and families in our community.
2. Have it returned to you in the same way that you paid. If you paid online it will be returned to your credit card, if you paid cash, a cheque will be issued and mailed to the address and person you indicate (please ensure you put the correct information).
Please complete this survey link to make your decision: https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=318rTdLEEUmHCWjML0ZcnyuoKYbEp-BLs4mX56PhNrpUREhFV1U0RktCSVpLSTI3TTNUSFMwQ1JMUi4u
Dear Dragon Boat Participants:
Earlier this week the Minister of Education announced that schools would remain closed for the remainder of the school year. Local businesses, small, medium and large, also remain closed. As our number one priority throughout the province is to control the spread of the coronavirus, we have made the difficult decision to cancel this year’s Greater Moncton Dragonboat Festival. The organizing committee discussed the possibility of rescheduling with our partner, the City of Moncton, but have determined that due to the nature of the Festival and the uncertainty of the duration of the self-isolation period it is not feasible to do so.
Although we all know this is the right and necessary thing to do, it was not an easy decision. The Friday High School Challenge has become an incredible celebration of the commitment of youth in our community to support local charities and show their leadership and drive. It has also become one of many grad-year traditions for Grade 12 students. We would like to take this moment to recognize and congratulate graduating students across our community, and wish them the very best in their future endeavours. We would also like to thank all of our Community and Corporate teams for the ongoing support and good-natured competitive spirit. We certainly hope to see you return next year.
Another reason that this decision was a difficult one centers around the many charities in our community supported by the funds our teams raise each year. As you may remember, last year the Festival raised $81,000.00 for the Lions’ Sick Children’s Fund and $52,000.00 for 23 other charities in our community. Many of these charities are ones that will be called upon even more as the effects of the Coronavirus touch individuals and families in our community. We know, however, that our community is strong and rises to every challenge and we are already hearing stories of individuals and organizations stepping up to this new challenge.
We would also like to give a shout-out to 22 Dragons, who as you know supply us with not only the boats and equipment for the event but also an amazing team of Dragon Boat professionals. We will be working with them over the next week to establish dates for 2021, so stay tuned for the announcement of these dates.
Once again, thank you for your continued support. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to any one of us. We will deeply miss seeing all of you at the end of May.
Stay safe, stay healthy.
Norval McConnell, Co-Chair
Carole Murphy, Co-Chair
Chris West, Race Director
Carm Golding, Treasurer
Dave Owen, Lions Sick Children’s Fund
Anglophone School District East would like to continue connecting with you via email. If you prefer to be removed from our list, please contact Anglophone School District East directly. To stop receiving all email messages distributed through our SchoolMessenger service, follow this link and confirm: Unsubscribe
SchoolMessenger is a notification service used by the nation's leading school systems to connect with parents, students and staff through voice, SMS text, email, and social media.