September 13, 2021
Additional Guidance to All Schools: Wearing Masks to School
The purpose of this letter is to inform you that a supplementary Public Health directive will be implemented tomorrow in all public schools in the province for at least the next two weeks (September 14 to 24 inclusive). If this measure needs to be extended, you will be informed before September 24. This directive is being put in place because of the increase in COVID-19 activity in the province, and as a measure to prevent transmission, especially with unvaccinated youth.
We understand that this may be a difficult time for you and your child, but we must continue to work together to protect everyone's health and safety from COVID-19.
The additional Public Health guideline is as follows:
• Students must wear a cloth mask or disposable mask all day at school, in common areas AND in classrooms. The mask may be removed for eating, or drinking, and during physical activity only.
• Fully vaccinated staff (must have been ≥14 days since the administration of the second dose of an approved two-dose COVID-19 vaccine OR since the administration of an approved single-dose vaccine) may remove their masks in the classroom to teach, but must continue to wear the mask in common areas.
All public schools in the province must follow these guidelines.
As a reminder, if you or your child experiences symptoms of COVID-19, you should:
1. Register online for a test by clicking on "Get Tested" on the Government of New Brunswick’s website - coronavirus (www.gnb.ca/coronavirus); or
2. Contact Tele-Care 811; or
3. Contact your health care provider.
Thank you for your cooperation. Please know that the school remains safe due to strict health protocols.
Thank you for your cooperation,
Dr. Cristin Muecke, MD, MSc, FRCPC
Medical Officer of Health
Department of Health
Department of Education and
Early Childhood Development