Skip Navigation LinksAnglophone School District - East > Schools > Claude D. Taylor > Annual School Performance Report

Annual School Performance Report

Mission Statement

Working as a team to support a high standard of learning.


As a school, we will use common, formative and summative assessments to guide teaching and learning.   
Parents and Community     
Fostering strong partnerships within our CDT community. 
We will teach and model appropriate character traits to help our students become responsible, contributing citizens.
We will create a safe, positive and inclusive environment which fosters respectful, lifelong learners!
All children will achieve mastery of the essential learning outcomes with an intrinsic desire to learn more.


Teams of teachers will create a variety of common formative and summative assessments that can be shared with all teachers involved with the students.
Students will have opportunities to be accountable for their own learning by setting goals and assessing their own work.
Parents and Community
Quality-Our focus is on creating partnerships between teachers, students and parents by striving for active involvement from all.
Caring-We recognize that support from all partners in education is essential to promote every student’s academic, social and emotional growth.
Model and praise positive behaviours and interactions.
Teach children to take pride in what they believe in and give their opinions respectfully.
We will help our students show compassion to all.
We want our children to choose to do the right thing.
Foster a respect and appreciation of the differences of others through modelling.
Quality-Through collaboration, communication and celebration we will promote student academic and social learning
Caring-We are committed to modeling, positive interactions by valuing, accepting and respecting everyone.
As professionals, we will continue to learn and work collaboratively and teach with passion.
Students will be expected to work to their full potential through:

Literacy Goals 1

By June, 2015, all students will be working to their full potential with 89% of all students scoring at the AA or SA levels with reading according to report card results.  The remaining 11% will receive supports and monthly progress monitoring.

Literacy Goals 2

By June, 2015, all students will be working to their full potential with 89% of students scoring AA or SA levels on writing according to report card results. The remaining 11% will receive supports and monthly progress monitoring.  

Principal's Summary
Literacy Summary

All grade level PLC (Professional Learning Community) groups met our reading and writing goals. The school average was 92% in reading and 93% in writing scoring AA or SA on the final reporting period based on report card criteria. The greatest gains were noticed in students moving from AA to SA. Utilizing the co-teaching model, students were able to participate in guided reading sessions with the classroom teacher, resource teacher and in some classrooms the district literacy leads.  The intensive approach along with specific classroom intervention strategies increased student reading scores.  Most co-teaching blocks lasted 6-8 weeks and the average gain in reading level was three levels. 

We also offered the ELF (Elementary Literacy Friends) literacy program for five struggling students.  Support was offered by trained volunteers and students noted an average gain of 3.6 reading levels.  Interventions occurred after the instructional day.

Our Immersion Literacy program received an intensive action plan to address our students’ needs that were presented at our ESS (Educational Support Services) team meetings. This plan pertained to Immersion classes for grades 3, 4, and 5. Each class received in class support through co-teaching with our immersion resource teacher and district support.

Also, to boost student achievement we altered the format of our monthly Literacy team meetings. We still focused on professional development but we added a thirty minute problem solving session at the k-2 and 3-5 level focusing on a specific student struggling with literacy.  The teachers were able to work collaboratively to brainstorm specific intervention plans for eight students using this model.

Numeracy Goals 1

By June 2015, all students will be working to their full potential with 90% of all students scoring at the AA or SA levels according to report card results. The remaining 10% will receive supports and monthly progress monitoring.

Numeracy Goals 2

By June 2015, 89% of students will score above 16 on the Math Screeners at their grade level. 

Principal's Summary
Numeracy Summary
All grade level PLC (Professional Learning Community) groups met our first numeracy goal. The school average was 96% scoring AA or SA on the final reporting period based on report card criteria. 
Despite not meeting the second numeracy goal individual student progress was noted due to targeted interventions. In many grade levels students benefited from flexible groupings in numeracy. The resource teacher was able to collaborate with classroom teachers and the district Numeracy leads to provide targeted interventions. Classes received interventions with a targeted focus for struggling students.
Enrichment opportunities were provided for the students who were meeting curriculum outcomes. These opportunities were provided in the form of Math Think Tanks.


Positive Learning, Work & Environment Plan (PLWEP)


To encourage good citizenship, to treat everyone with respect, and to value an inclusive environment.

Principal's Summary

PLEP Summary

This year our school community worked diligently to reinforce our “mission” of working as a team to support a high standard of learning.  We focused on a high standard for academic learning but also learned how to be active members of our community with a strong sense of citizenship.  Staff, students, volunteers and community members worked together to ensure the success of all of our students.  

Our ESS (Educational Support Services) Team reviewed various indicators monthly to monitor our progress on our PLWEP plan. Based on the data, plans were developed to address concerns.  The team worked with teachers to create specific tools to create a positive learning environment. 

Three specific plans were developed to further our PLWEP goal. Firstly, the “CDT PAWS Matrix” was developed to provide a clear overview of behavioural expectations.  The matrix was developed by the ESS team through collaboration with the staff and leadership students. The teachers explicitly taught the matrix to students with the aid of visuals and staff-developed videos.

Secondly a detailed plan for the roll out of the CDT PAWS matrix was developed.  We decided to “unveil” the matrix in the fall of 2015.  The matrix will be explained and reviewed with students throughout the month of September.  Following strategies from Randy Sprick's CHAMPS program our goal is to have staff and students view the matrix as the normal way we interact at CDT.  After each break (winter break, march break , etc.) we will do a “school restart” where the matrix is reviewed and expectations are reiterated. 

Thirdly, a reinforcement matrix will be created which aligns with the behavioural matrix.  Development of the reinforcement matrix will occur in collaboration with staff, parents and leadership students. Items considered for the matrix which were brought forward by students include: PAWS certificate/trophies, OPEN Doors, Lunch with Administration, Positive Praise programs, Sock Hops, and classwide reward/motivation systems.

Again this year our leadership students took on an active role in promoting our school’s values of caring and allowing opportunities for all students to be involved.  They participated in activities such as classroom lunch monitoring, playground buddies, assembly preparation, milk sales, hot lunch programs, concerts and many more activities to support our school. 

The Blue Paws program was continued this year with over 400 “trophies” being awarded!  Students continued to use the “If it Hurts It’s Wrong” tracking program and administrators maintained an open door policy where students could discuss concerns with the principal or vice principal.

Many community events were held over the year including: Remembrance Day Ceremony, Christmas Concert, Character Trait Assemblies, Arts Night, and Spring Fling to name a few.  The partnership with the Riverview Boys and Girls club allowed many of our students to participate in noon hour activities hosted by the club.

Areas of Focus Identified by School Review
Review Report

Claude D. Taylor Elementary School participated in a School Improvement Review on May 7-9, 2013. The following areas of focus and associated strategies were identified cooperatively:

1. Differentiation – Stretch Learning/Enrichment
2. Technology
3. Core Leadership Team/Leadership Opportunities

Potential Direction for 2015-2016 based on this report


We are looking forward to implementing the PAWS matrix and continuing with many of the programs noted in our PLWEP plan.  There will be a continued focus on developing citizenship and leadership qualities in our students. Collaborations with community partners will strengthen this focus.

Co-teaching and developing capacity within our school ESS (Educational Services Support) team will be major components in our School Improvement Planning.  This year our core leadership team has streamlined our referral process for Tier 1 and Tier 2 referrals. We will continue to conduct regular ESST bi-monthly meetings with the new addition of weekly ESS meetings and problem solving meetings as required.  The team feels this model will best serve our students and allows for a regular review/problem solving of systemic issues.

We will continue to move forward with our technology plan.  The current focus of our technology plan is to support our SIP (School Improvement Plan), PLWEP (Positive Learning and Working Environment Plan) and to further enhance our communication with students’ families. An area of focus from our School Review was to provide differentiation and stretch learning opportunities for our students.  Teachers have integrated these learning opportunities throughout their curriculum by use of adapted teacher materials and technology.

We will continue to collaborate with the district technology mentor on using IPADS to create “flip classrooms”.  Flip classrooms increase home and school communication through weebly teacher sites, and homework and curriculum assistance (camera/video instruction).  The technology mentor has suggested each homeroom have one IPad and LCD projector to create the “flip classroom environment”. Next year we will be fundraising to facilitate the acquisition of the homeroom IPads.

Staff professional learning in the area of mental health will be a priority for the 2015-2016 school year.  We participated in a pilot program called Kids Have Stress Too and Changing Minds. Changing Minds is a program created for supporting individuals with mental health issues. Next year we will complete both programs.