FAQ-Placement Questions

Here are some frequently asked questions about school/grade placement:

Which school is best for my child?
Each school has its own unique culture, however all schools deliver curriculum required by the New Brunswick Department of Education and Early Childhood Development.

How do you determine what grade my child will go into?
Students will normally be placed in their age appropriate grade level:

​​​​​​Grade placement based on age of the student as of December 31st ​​​​​​​​​​​ ​​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​
Grade ​K ​1 ​2 ​3 ​4 ​5 ​6 ​7 ​8 9​ ​10 11​ 12​
Age ​5 6​ 7​ 8​ 9​ 10​ 11​ 12​ 13​ 14​ 15​ 16​ 17​

International students will be placed in a regular academic program and may receive English as an Additional Language (EAL) support based on assessment results and available programs. 

What school would my child attend?
Your child will attend their catchment school if you live within that school’s boundary and there is space available. Click here​ to find your catchment school.

What happens after I register my child at the International Welcome Centre?
After you have registered your child at the International Welcome Centre, and all documents are submitted, we will schedule your child for intake assessments. Once the intake assessments are complete we will forward your child’s file to your neighborhood school. You can expect your child to be in classes at their new school in a timely manner following registration and assessments.

How long does my child have to wait after registering before he or she can go to school?
Students will usually be able to join classes at their new school within 1 to 2 weeks of their initial registration appointment. Each transition to school is unique to ensure for a successful school entry. It is important to remember that the registration is not complete until all required documents have been submitted. 

What happens if my child’s school has reached grade level capacity?
If a grade level or school is at capacity level, he or she will be placed in another school per district approval. A student can transfer to their catchment school when a space becomes available, or they may choose to wait until the beginning of the following academic year. Transportation will be arranged for the student by the district if your child is placed in another district school temporarily that is more than 2.4 km from your residence. 

If my child has a special learning need, what do I need to do?
If your child has special learning needs, bring all available medical records, psycho-educational assessments, Personalized Learning Plans (PLPs) and Individualized Education Programs (IEPs) to the International Welcome Centre when you register your child. If you do not have these records, we will ask you to sign a form giving us permission to request them. We will send these records to your child’s school principal who will work with you to identify required support systems to support your child.

What happens if my child has little or no English?
Your child’s English language skills will be assessed at the International Welcome Centre through our intake assessments. Extra language support will be provided, if required, by teaching staff at your child’s school.

Do all elementary schools have an ELL program?
All elementary schools have EAL tutor support services. Exactly how that will look varies based on the child’s individual needs.

Do all high schools have an ELL program?
Bernice MacNaughton High School, Harrison Trimble High School, Moncton High School and Riverview High School have EAL classes. Our other 4 high schools have EAL tutor support as required. 

If you have additional questions, please refer to the other sections of our Frequently Asked Questions or send us an email iwcmoncton@nbed.nb.ca​