FAQ-Documentation / Eligibility Questions

Here are some frequently asked questions about the documentation required and eligibility for a publicly funded education:

Why do students have to provide school report cards or transcripts?
School report cards or transcripts are very important documents used by school administrators to better understand the student’s educational background and to help them make appropriate decisions regarding programs and courses.

Can I register my child if I don’t have all the documents?
The registration cannot be completed and your child will not be able to attend school until all relevant documents have been submitted. 

Do I need to translate all the documents into English?
All documents must be translated into English before registering. Translations must be certified by a professional translator.

What does “proof of address” mean?
If you are renting an apartment or house, you can bring your lease agreement. If you own your home, you can bring your New Brunswick Property Tax Assessment or a copy of your Purchase and Sale Agreement. In either case you can provide a recent utility bill with your name and address on it. We will also accept a recent bank statement with your name and address on it.

I don’t have a permanent address yet. Can my child go to school?
You can register for school as soon as you have confirmed a permanent residence. For example, if you have purchased a home or signed a rental agreement for a future date, you can register for school even before you have officially moved in. You would be registered in the school located in the catchment area of your new home. Transportation would be the responsibility of the parent(s)/guardian until you have moved into the new home.

If I work in Moncton but live outside the city, can my child go to school in Moncton?
If your residence is within the Anglophone East School District, you can complete an Out of Geographic Boundary Form​ to apply for your child to be registered in a school outside your residential catchment area. Individual schools will determine if there is space to accommodate your child at that school. Acceptance in an out of boundary school is not guaranteed and students can be asked to return to their catchment school at any point during the school year should capacity issues arise. Transportation would be the responsibility of the parent(s)/guardian.

Does my child have to pay tuition to attend school?
The Anglophone East School District wishes to do everything it can to allow all students to receive a publicly funded education while recognizing constraints established within the Department of Education funding policies. Refer to the questions below for some more detailed information about the eligibility of a publicly funded education.

My parents do not live in New Brunswick. Do I have to pay tuition fees if I want to attend school in the Anglophone East School District?
According to the Education Act, only children living with a parent/legal guardian in N.B. can attend school without paying fees. If you do not have one parent living with you full-time, even if you are a Canadian citizen or a landed immigrant, please register at the International Welcome Centre. You will be required to pay tuition fees.

My parents will not be accompanying me to New Brunswick while I am studying. Is there any additional documentation that will be required?
If you are in New Brunswick to study without your parents you are required to have a custodian appointed who is responsible for your care while you are here, even if you are a Canadian citizen. The custodian is a responsible adult (Canadian citizen or a permanent resident) who will ensure that all care, accommodations and living expenses such as food, clothing and transportation are provided. 

In the Anglophone East School District the custodian must be:
  • over 21 years of age, AND
  • a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada, AND
  • a resident of the province of New Brunswick
All international students are required to submit the following two notarized documents to appoint a custodian. Only the Immigration Refugee Citizenship Canada Custodianship Declaration form is acceptable and is available here​.

  • Page 1: To be completed by the custodian in New Brunswick, stating that arrangements have been made for the custodian to act in place of a parent in times of emergency, such as when immediate medical or other intervention is required. 
  • Page 2: To be completed by the parent in the country of origin, stating that arrangements have been made for a custodian to act in the place of the parent. This document must be notarized in the country of origin.
These documents must include the address for the family the student will be living with and this must be within ASD-E.

For students in grades 5 and under, the student must be living with their parent/legal guardian. For students in grades 6 to 8 the student must be living with their parent/legal guardian or their custodian. All students in grades 9 to 12 must live with their parent/legal guardian, custodian or homestay that is approved by the custodian and the parents. Families seeking homestay accommodations may be referred to Atlantic Education International (AEI), as appropriate. 

Please note: If the custodian does not meet his/her obligations, the Anglophone East School District (ASD-E) has the right to demit the student.

I don’t have a place to stay while I am studying in Canada. Does your school district help make homestay arrangements?
No, the Anglophone East School District does not arrange homestays. Atlantic Education International (AEI) is the only agent authorized by the New Brunswick Department of Education and Early Childhood to provide this service. For more information visit Atlantic Education International (AEI)​. The New Brunswick International Student Program (NBISP) welcomes students between the ages of 11 and 18 from all points of the globe. The NBISP is managed through AEI. Visiting students live with a host family, attend classes with New Brunswick students and participate in extra-curricular and community activities. Fully immersed in the English language, international students develop their language skills and create new and lasting friendships

I am applying for a Study Permit for my child and I need a Letter of Acceptance. What do I need to do in order to receive a Letter of Acceptance?
We can provide a Tentative Letter of Acceptance into the Anglophone East School District. In order to produce this letter we would need: 
  1. The student’s name (as written in their passport)
  2. The student’s date of birth
  3. The student’s parent’s full names (as written in their passports)
  4. The student’s parent’s home address
  5. The student’s passport number
  6. The student’s gender: male or female
  7. The date of arrival and intended academic year of study
  8. Confirmation of payment for the Tentative Letter of Acceptance
This letter is sent to the student’s home address directly from the school district superintendent’s office. There is a fee of $250CDN for this letter. Direct payment is completed at Schoolcash OnlineStudent Application Fee – International Student Fee-Paying ** The application fee is NON-REFUNDABLE** 

How do I pay for my Tentative Letter of Acceptance?
An application fee of $250CDN must be paid prior to the issuance of a Tentative Letter of Acceptance. This fee is made payable to the Minister of Finance in Canadian currency online by credit card using school cash online at the following link: School Cash Online - Student Application Fee. Alternatively, the application fee of $250CDN can be sent by certified cheque or money order made payable to the Minister of Finance to the following address: 

International Welcome Centre (IWC)
Queen Elizabeth School, Room 114
31 Lynch Street, Moncton, NB E1C 3L5

The student will then apply for a study permit. 

What if I am unsuccessful in getting a Study Permit and I have prepaid tuition, can this be refunded?
Tuition is refunded by the same method of payment and to the same person who originally paid. Please note the application fee of $250CDN is non-refundable.

I have a Study Permit to study in Canada. Can my child study in New Brunswick without paying tuition fees?
For your child to attend school without paying tuition:
  • The child’s parent/guardian’s study permit must be for the duration of their official course of studies, AND
  • The child’s parent/guardian must be enrolled in a degree or diploma program at a publicly funded institution or in a degree program at a private post-secondary institution in N.B. Here is a list of institutions that would fall under Section 12 of the Regulation. This was developed with assistance and clarification from PETL:
    • an educational institution designated under the Degree Granting Act (Yorkville University and the University of Fredericton), 
    • an educational institution, as defined in the Degree Granting Act, that is established under an Act of the Legislature (University of New Brunswick, Mount Allison University, St. Thomas University, Université  de Moncton, Crandall University, Kingswood University and St. Stephen’s University and The New Brunswick Bible Institute).
    • an institution established or operated under the Adult Education and Training Act (i.e. New Brunswick College of Craft and Design),
    • Maritime College of Forest Technology,
    • the Collège communautaire du Nouveau-Brunswick (CCNB),
    • the New Brunswick Community College (NBCC),
It should be noted that there are other educational institutions in the province, which are under the Private Occupational Training Act (POTA). As these institutions are under POTA, and POTA is not one of the acts mentioned under Section 12 of the Regulation, dependent children of parents attending those institutions would not be eligible for free school privileges.

The Private Occupational Training Act (Act) governs private college institutions.  The Act excludes the registration of language schools and religious schools.  
Click here for the current list of POTA institutions.

If I have a Work Permit to work in Canada, can my child go to school without paying tuition fees? Do I need a Study Permit for my child?
For a child to go to school without paying tuition:
  • the child’s parent/legal guardian(s) must have a valid work permit issued by IRCC that is valid for a term of one year or more, AND
  • the child’s parent/legal guardian(s) must be a resident of New Brunswick
To see if your child requires a study permit click here.

What if a student is already enrolled in a school and his or her parent/legal guardian’s immigration status changes? Does the student have to leave school?
Children who are already enrolled in schools will not be withdrawn from school while their parent/legal guardian is dealing with immigration matters, provided they submit supporting documentation that they are in a transitional period (e.g. changing status from Temporary Foreign Worker to Permanent Residence or Study permit, etc.) Other cases will be dealt with on a case by case basis.

I have adopted a child, I have no birth certificate, and the adoption papers I have contain sensitive information. What document(s) can I provide?
We can copy only the portion of the adoption paper identifying the child’s name and the legal guardian’s name. 

If you have additional questions, please refer to the other sections of our Frequently Asked Questions or send us an email iwcmoncton@nbed.nb.ca.